This is my "before" photo. Found this lying around in the attic where it had been kicked, thrown, covered up, picked up to throw away a hundred times......but I just knew that "someday" I would find a use for it)))
Today I did.....here's the "after" photo.
It wasn't hard to make so I took some photos during the process to share with you. Here we go!
The first thing to do, was clean off the old wreath. Removed all the old rusty wiring and dusty flowers.
In addition to the wreath found in the attic, I also has this metal wall basket that I purchased several.....okay...MANY years ago with good intentions to create an arrangement. You know how good intentions are......it too, was lying around in the attic, moved around a bazillion times to make way for other stuff.....and salvaged today.
Zip ties are a girl's best friend! If you haven't used them in your projects....go, get a bag. You won't believe how many times you'll be digging into that bag to fix something or secure something with a zip tie......just try keeping your husband out of your bag.....not easy.
Position the pieces and slip the zip tie through both pieces just winding it through the twig wreath the best place you can without having it show too much.
Once you've made any adjustments, pull the zip tie tight as you can and clip the tail with wire cutters. Another trusty friend of the crafty lady.
My attic was just a treasure trove today! I should go up there more often))) This stem of sunflowers has been used around our place several times, but this time I decided to cut the stems and use in this arrangement. Look at the size of that stem by the way....it must be an inch in diameter.....no wire cutters for this one.
Used the garden loppers for this. It cut really easier than I imagined. Also trimmed off several of the leaves and shorten the stems.....didn't throw anything away though.....leaves will be used for later.
Even this stem, I could see using it to top a pumpkin wreath maybe....
Chose a natural color 8.5" Wired 100% Jute
to use on this wreath. This roll comes in a 5-yard length and the entire thing is wired. It's a natural product of course, but the wiring will help it to hold it shape if used in an outside setting. Not recommending it be used totally outside, but say on a covered porch or something like that. Regular burlap or jute will go limp.
I started with the jute at the top of the wreath and just bunched it up and secured with a white small gauge floral wire. Left the ends of the wire long for now. This can all be trimmed up later.
Wasn't quite sure at this point how much burlap to use, so I just left it attached and added some other items.
Experimented with the placement of the sunflowers and then secured the long stems to the wire basket with zip ties.
After the sunflowers were all secured, chose a Rust Faux Jute
wire edge ribbon as contrast to add to the natural jute. This Faux Jute comes in several solid colors and some checked. We have 2.5" and 4". It all comes on 25 yard rolls and I had at least 3/4 of the roll left after this project.
Also chose this Moss Ribbon which is wired and comes in rolls of 25 feet to add another dimension of texture and bright color. Just secured it in a few places using the wires sometimes from where the burlap was initially fastened. If it needed a tuck here or there, I just used a bit of floral wire.
Cleaned up the back by trimming all the zip ties and any wire that were showing.
When I looked at the front, I noticed one unsightly zip tie that was showing. So I covered it up with some of the Moss Ribbon using hot glue to secure the ends.
I wound up using the entire roll of wire jute. I cut the one tail that was left, and cut another piece and just wired it in so there would be two tails hanging. After it was nearly complete, I went back with 2-3 more loops and filled in some spaces that needed more burlap.
Made a bow with the Rust Faux Jute and also cut a streamer that is just wired in here and there and added the Moss Ribbon in the same manner. Hot glued in some of the extra leaves. Leaves are GREAT for covering up stuff))
My plan is to fill the basket with Bodock balls just as soon as they start falling off the trees (they're bright green and look like bumpy apples). We're in Mississippi and still in the dog days of summer.....so just as soon as we have a crisp cool morning.....I'll fill the basket with little orange pumpkins and gourds. That will last right up through November. Then I'll probably take it down, take it all apart and put it back in the attic for another project ....another day.